Chicken Chargha is a popular Pakistani dish known for its delicious and flavorful preparation. This recipe involves marinating the chicken in a blend of spices and then deep-frying it to perfection. The result is a succulent and crispy chicken with a tantalizing aroma and taste. Chicken Chargha is often served as a centerpiece dish during special occasions and gatherings, and it pairs exceptionally well with naan, rice, or a fresh salad. Let’s dive into the detailed recipe to make this delectable dish.
|1 whole chicken (approximately 2-2.5 kg), skin-on and cleaned||2 cups plain yogurt|
|2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste||2 tablespoons lemon juice|
|2 teaspoons red chili powder||1 teaspoon ground coriander|
|1 teaspoon ground cumin||1 teaspoon garam masala|
|1 teaspoon turmeric powder||1 teaspoon black pepper powder|
|1 tablespoon paprika (optional, for a vibrant color)||1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|Salt, to taste|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 cup cornflour or rice flour|
|1 teaspoon red chili powder|
|1 teaspoon chaat masala|
|Salt, to taste|
Sufficient vegetable oil for deep frying
Table of Contents
1-Marinating the Chicken
- Make deep cuts in the chicken using a sharp knife to allow the marinade to penetrate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, red chili powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, garam masala, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, paprika (if using), vegetable oil, and salt.
- Mix the marinade well until all the spices are combined and the yogurt is smooth.
- Place the chicken in the marinade, ensuring it is thoroughly coated. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight for the best results. This step allows the flavors to infuse into the chicken.
2-Preparing The Coating
In a shallow dish, combine all-purpose flour, cornflour (or rice flour), red chili powder, chaat masala, and salt. Mix well to create the coating mixture.
3-Frying the Chicken
- Take the marinated chicken out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Heat a sufficient amount of vegetable oil in a deep-frying pan or pot over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, remove any excess marinade from the chicken to ensure a crispier coating.
- Roll the chicken in the prepared coating mixture, making sure it is evenly coated on all sides. Gently press the coating onto the chicken to adhere.
4-Deep Frying the Chicken
- Once the oil is hot (around 160-170°C / 320-340°F), carefully place the coated chicken into the hot oil.
- Fry the chicken on medium heat for approximately 15-20 minutes per side or until it turns golden brown and crispy. Ensure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly and reaches an internal temperature of at least 75°C (165°F).
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the fried chicken from the oil and let it rest on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
Transfer the Chicken Chargha to a serving platter and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Serve the delicious Chicken Chargha hot, accompanied by naan, rice, or a fresh salad. Optionally, you can also serve it with mint chutney or yogurt raita for an extra burst of flavor.
Chicken Chargha is a delightful dish that will undoubtedly impress your family and friends with its juicy and crispy texture, infused with an array of aromatic spices. This recipe allows you to recreate the traditional Pakistani flavors right in your kitchen. So, go ahead and treat yourself and your loved ones to this mouthwatering Chicken Chargha that is sure to be a hit at any gathering or special occasion! Enjoy!